Thursday, January 24, 2008

Where Have You Gone, Fred?

I'm mad. I'm a bit upset. I feel let-down. I feel snubbed. No, I have not failed to win the lottery. Well...in a way maybe I have. Last Saturday I happily went to my local polling place and cast my vote. I am not ashamed to say that I cast that vote for Senator Fred Thompson...and that is why I am mad. I was all about Fred. I got excited because he seemed to be the only true conservative running. Yet, he never seemed to be real excited about that fact. In fact, he never seemed to be excited about too much. I was a Fred-head, and now I sit here deflated. It feels like watching your favorite team start off slow, and continue to do so even though you are cheering relentlessly for them! Was there a method to his madness? Because whether he wants to acknowledge it or not madness is quite possibly what we are about to descend into.

What am I talking about? I am talking about John McCain. And to some extent, I am talking about Mike Huckabee. Take a look at this:
Denying Legal Status for Immigrants Convicted of Certain Crimes
Bill Number: S Amdt 1184

Vote to pass an amendment that would prohibit undocumented immigrants convicted of aggravated felonies, domestic violence, stalking, violation of protection orders, crimes against children, or crimes relating to the illegal purchase or sale of firearms, from gaining legal status.
McCain voted "no".

Did you read that right? McCain said, in essence, even though you may be ILLEGAl, and even though you have committed crimes, you need not worry about never becoming a U.S. citizen. In my house we call that permission; permission to committ crimes with no fear of real puishment other than prison. Prison is not enough. KICK THEM OUT AFTER THEY FINISH THEIR SENTANCE! McCain's vote in tantamount to betrayl.

Gulf of Mexico Energy Security Act of 2006

S 3711: A bill to enhance the energy independence and security of the United States by providing for exploration, development, and production activities for mineral resources in the Gulf of Mexico, and for other purposes.

Here's a bill that would have promoted energy independence. Guess how he voted? You got it: NO! I call that caving to the tree hugger lobby.

Here's more:
06/06/2007 Declaring English the National Language Vote to pass an amendment that declares English as the language of “sole legal authority” for the business of the federal government, and declares that no person has a right to require officials of the United States government to use a language other than English. He voted "yes" on this one. But on one right before that...


06/06/2007
English as the Common Language Vote to adopt an amendment that declares English to be the common language of the United States. He voted "no". Let me get this straight: members of the government HAVE to learn English, but the average citizen does not have to. This ammendment would have made the lives of school teachers a lot easier, and businesses would have had an easier time, but ole Johnny boy doesn't care. I guess the Hispanic vote is more important than any other ones. What a crock!

As for the Huckster, check out this that came from his own mouth: “Some have suggested [increasing the tax on tobacco at the retail level]. If that ends up being your preference, I will accept that. Others have suggested a surcharge on the income tax; that’s acceptable; I’m fine with that. Others have suggested, perhaps, a sales tax; that’s fine. Yet others have suggested a hybrid that will collect some monies from any one or a combination of these various ideas, and if that’s the plan that the House and Senate agree upon, then you will have nothing but my profound thanks.” http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/mike_huckabee120.html. I have seen the video of him saying this to the Arkansas Legislature. Sounds inspiring, doesn't it?

That, essentially, is all I need to know. He also said he was a little wary of what he said was the NSA's policy of tapping the phones of average American citizens. That is a distortion of truth. Common citizens were not spied on! People suspected of terrorist ties were the only people that the NSA were allowed, LEGALLY, to "spy" on. They monitored their phone calls (those made or revieved by known terrorists) to see if they may have been concocting terrorist plots. That program was shut down by the dishonorable Senator from Nevada, Harry Reid and his fellow Lefties. By the way, guess who started the whole NSA wire-tapping program...the worst President in our history, Jimmy Carter. How ironic that he claimed to be an avowed Baptist who would lead in a Christian manner. Jim, support of abortion on demand is not a sweet Christian idea. Huckabee, another proud Baptist (no offense, Darrell), is saying the same stuff (except for abortion, thank God). To me, it may be a good idea to NOT vote for the man who is, to me, using his faith as a means to grab votes. Strong statement, I know, but I do believe it.

So, rather than being cynical, I am going to find me another candidate, and then I am going to do my best to get them elected. I hope you will do the same.

1 comment:

Wright Family said...

Sign me up for the million man march- but I am not sure I can vote for the woman so be careful!!